Ihr Reise-Experte: Raphael Meese
  • Your Travel Expert Raphael Meese
  • 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (Monday - Friday)
Opening hours

German bank holidays afe excluded.

Most of the campervans that you can rent through CamperDays only require a normal class B driving licence. Also, only a few countries require you to have your international driving licence with you. Below is an overview of which driving licence is the right one for you for your campervan.

There are only a few campervans on CamperDays that require a special driving licence. However, when travelling outside the EU we recommend that you always have an international driving licence with you if your licence is not already in English. However, in Australia’s Northern Territory, South Africa and Namibia it is compulsory.

At a glance: Driving licence for your campervan rental


Country/Region Driving licence category International driving licence Minimum period of holding a driving licence
EU B to 3.5 t; C1 to 7.5 t no mostly 1 year
USA B recommended, required with Apollo mostly 1 year
Canada B recommended, required with Apollo mostly 1 year
Australia B recommended, required in Northern Territory mostly 2 years
New Zealand B recommended mostly 2 years
South Africa B required mostly 1 year
Namibia B required mostly 1 year

Do I need a special driving licence class for the campervans?

Any campervans you find on CamperDays for North America, Australia, New Zealand, Namibia and South Africa can be hired and driven with a regular class B (class 3) driving licence – even if the vehicles are heavier than 3.5 tonnes.

Should you wish to book a campervan in the UK or in other European countries with a permissible total weight of up to 3.5 tonnes, a class B driving license is also sufficient. Larger and heavier vehicle models with a permissible total weight over 3.5 tonnes can, however, only be driven with a corresponding class C1 driving licence – unlike those at destinations further afield. If you select a large vehicle that can only be driven with a class C driving licence when booking a campervan on camperdays.com, this will be clearly indicated either in the vehicle images or through a tick-box before completing a booking. Our tip: If in doubt, ask the rental company or take a look at the rental conditions.

For which countries do I need an International Driver’s License?

In Australia’s Northern Territory and South Africa, the International Driving Licence is a compulsory document that you must carry with you when travelling. EU citizens with a corresponding driving licence must also apply for an International Driving Licence for a campervan trip through Namibia.

But you do not need an International Driving License in Canada or the USA – unless you book with the Apollo rental company in the USA. Should this be the case, you will need an International Driver’s License to pick up the campervan.

For long distance travel, we recommend that you always obtain an International Driving Licence in order to be prepared for all eventualities at police checks and to avoid lengthy explanations. The issuing of an International Driving License usually costs 5.50 GBP / 15 Euros and is valid for 3 years. It can take a few days depending on the authorities. So make sure you get your International Driving Licence in good time, should you need it.

In Europe you usually do not need an international driving licence.

What is an international driving licence?

The International Driver’s License is an official translation of your regular driver’s license. For this reason, the International Driving License is always only valid in conjunction with your original driving license.

How long do I need to have held a driving licence for?

Many rental companies specify in their rental conditions how long you must have your driving licence to be allowed to rent a campervan. As a rule, you must have held your driving licence for at least one year.

In addition, the minimum age for renting is usually 21 years. However, some rental companies, such as Jucy or Hippie, specialise in young travellers and also rent their campers to younger drivers.